10 October 2017

Taos 2017

One week after I returned from Tokyo I was headed to the airport again to fly to Taos, New Mexico to teach with Diane Ericson, Design Outside the Lines, at the Mabel Dodge Luhan house.




What a wonderful, nurturing and inspiring venue Mabel's is.
 




 
I was brought on by Diane Ericson to co-teach alongside her and inspire the students with what I have learned about Japanese textiles, and Japanese Boro and mending techniques, and how I applied that to my artwork.
 
We practiced Japanese mending techniques on a piece of cloth that later was turned into a mini-bag:







I got to play around a bit and was experimenting with stencils and fabric painting on some scraps that I brought and turned those scraps into a different kind of a bag. When I asked the students if they would like to learn the structure, the answer was "yes"!
 
Well, a few of them became obsessed with this bag and they played around with the dimensions and pushed the original design of the bag into these fun structures:




 

Seeing as I had just returned from Japan, I could only really allow myself to take a day and a half to site see after my teaching duties were up.

But, my friend and I packed as much as we could into those hours.






 

So minimal and modern!


 And, the short drive to Ghost Ranch was just stunning with the post-rain saturated earth surrounding us:







Although I am thankful for the experience, Tokyo and Taos with just a week's catch up time in between is a bit more travel than I'm used to so I'm trying to slow down and process both of those inspirational experiences right now. 

As usual, more pics over on Instagram.
 
 

1 comment: